Are you tired of all these “Searching” posts? Well maybe it is a glimpse of how we were feeling that weekend. We were all tired and starting to wonder when we would find what we loved. There were locations we liked, but something did not seem right in one way or another.
So our last location to check out that weekend was the Estancia La Jolla. The hotel is on the Torrey Pines Golf Course which is right by the coast and also home to the Lodge at Torrey Pines and the Del Mar Hilton, which are 2 other beautiful locations (out of our budget). When we drove up the Estancia it was basically love at first site. We loved everything about the place. It had its own unique rustic feel, a gorgeous ceremony site, didn’t feel touristy and we liked the ballroom. We basically were ready to declare it “the one.” It seemed from the menu pricing we could even squeeze it into our budget. However, after talking to the catering manager the next day we discovered the minimum was way higher than we thought. Even if we did the event on a Friday or Sunday it would be a stretch to meet the food and beverage minimum. We were sooo sad!!! We tried negotiating something to work out but it just was not destined to be. However, I’ll share with you some pictures from the location.
Photos from Here Comes the Guide
Photo from Jules Bianchi
So the Estancia La Jolla was not meant to be, that’s okay I still recommend it for anyone that is looking for an awesome location. After moving on from the Estancia La Jolla I continued onward in my venue search. Don’t worry…pretty quickly after I found the perfect location and I can’t wait to share it with you!
I wanted to go through some helpful questions that helped us narrow down our venues and get important information:
- What are your minimums for events? Is it different for different days of the week?
- May I see your catering menu?
- Do you have a fee for the location on top of catering costs?
- Do you have facilities for the wedding party to get ready in?
- Can I bring in my own vendors? Do you have any limitations?
- Is there handicap access for elderly guests?
- How much does it cost to upgrade linens & chairs?
- What parking is available for our guests? valet? costs? (We were quoted $30 a car at one location!)
- How many weddings do you do in a day?
- How long do we have the venue for? When can we start set up? When do we have to be cleaned up by?
- Do you offer hotel block discounts for wedding guests?
I hope that these few posts have been helpful. I took a lot of time to research ahead of time, but then some of it came down to actually going to the place and seeing it in person.